Friday 17 February 2012

The Genetics of Courage

“...SOMETIMES COURAGE SKIPS A GENERATION.”
Alright, I admit it. I watched The Help but didn’t read it. Literary buffoons, poo-poo me all you like but my To-Read-List is becoming a Grollo style eye sore and the soon to be Leaning Tower of unread books. I simply cannot bear to add any more to it.

This is not a review, not by a long shot. This is simply a musing on a line from the film which I have been replaying over and over in my head like a mantra. It demands my attention. It demands I write, as always. When the pen (or the keyboard) is your voice it must be allowed to sing. When the blog is your platform in absence of a real life soapbox upon which to recite, deliver and denounce, it’s got to do more than just tickle the intellectual fancies. It’s got to tug, tear and pull at hearts and minds. This is therapy. Humour me now, and heal me in the process.

“...Sometimes courage skips a generation...”

When I heard this, I pictured myself a colourful and well worn old chook, rocking out on my rocking chair, a gin ‘n’ tonic in my hand, wife by my side and litters of noisy children scattered across the front lawn, running and chasing one another. I wondered what I might have achieved that would make them proud. I wondered whether I would be the generation that courage had skipped. Ultimately I concluded that if we are to truly take courage by the horns and own it...really own it...might we then break the pattern?

My grandmother Rosa, well, if you’ve been here before you know a bit of her story. If you haven’t, take a minute to read the previous post, I would be ever so grateful. She had a degree of courage which took to her to places her own mother would never have dreamed of. Leaving the old country, then leaving a man and becoming single all over again. Not to mention giving Jehova’s Witnesses a run for their money and outright refusing to attend any funeral of anyone who had crossed her at any point in time. Family members not excluded. Then there’s hanging with the gays, but as I said, read the last post, s’il vous plait.

My mother, well, courage came and went over her life; married a non-Italian then divorced a non-Italian. But she is yet to fight the fight for her gay daughter. Perhaps that day has yet to come. Where do I fit in? For so many years I feared I would be the one looking back and wondering where the years had gone. But after Rosa let the horns we call Life go for good, I realised there was still a fight to be fought.

I will not be the generation skipped, and I will pass it on. I WILL pass it on...Will you?

Oh, and see The Help. You will be humbled by the greatness of spirit, the courage of a people who embodied the very meaning of courage in the face of ignorance, fear and hatred. That’s all folks!

It takes courage to run away from home on a trike. Took me years!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think courage is one of the things that makes for a life truly lived. If something scares me, I know I just have to suck it up and do it. Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all. If you take that bitch by the horns, stare her down, you'll always be proud of yourself. Mr Alderado, as you say, don't turn your back on it. Goddamm it bites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's actually Alterado, but, hey, no worries. I deleted my first comment because I thought it was a bit rude, but I'll be honest and admit that sometimes it is hard to be brave and courageous. We've all been there; a situation calls for us to be brave but we back off and keep quiet, but fair plate on you to have the guts to live your live as you chose. Happiness is hard to come by and it probably skipped a generation; our mother's (different women, same mistake), but it doesn't mean that it has to skip us so hold on to that person you love. Love is love and I believe everyone should be free to love whoever they want. Of course, in some countries one has to be really brave to do that and that's when courage comes along...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I type fast when I am thinking fast. I am certainly holding on tight. Not so tight that I kill it, though. There's a balance required.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the most couragous women I know..... Keep telling your truth..... the world will learn so much.... I know I have.

    ReplyDelete